Gannett Wisconsin Media Investigative Team
Enterprise and investigative reporter, Jan. 2012 – present
- Produce statewide reports for Gannett’s 10 Wisconsin newspapers as part of a three-member full-time team, serving 150,000 readers on weekdays and 200,000 on Sundays
- Use data, open records requests, documents and interviews to develop print and online content, including databases and interactive graphics
- Covered state and federal candidates during the 2012 campaign in social media, print and online, including contributions to a statewide politics blog and co-hosted a weekly podcast
- Received awards for investigative reporting, open records reporting and environmental reporting from the Wisconsin Newspaper Association in 2012
Wausau Daily Herald, Wausau, Wis.
Local government beat reporter, June 2010 – Jan. 2012
- Cover six local communities’ governing bodies for 20,000 circulation daily newspaper
- Complete eight articles, 15 online updates and an enterprise piece each week
- Received finalist recognition for beat reporting in Gannett’s companywide third quarter awards
- Received first place for enterprise reporting from the Wisconsin Newspaper Association in 2011 for a comprehensive report on a proposed biomass plant
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Springfield, Ill. bureau
Statehouse intern, from Jan. 2010 – June 2010
- Cover Illinois government for print and online including Feb. 2010 primaries and two gubernatorial addresses
- Contribute at least 3 analytical or news blog posts each day and 2-3 print articles each week for 279,000 daily 407,700 Sunday circulation publication
Bliss Communications, Janesville, WI
News intern, The Janesville Gazette from May – August 2009
- Completed at least 4 – 5 articles per week for print 21,000-circulation daily publication and online
- Researched and wrote two-day series explaining how the city’s water system operates, including an original graphic representation of the system
- Updated Gazettextra.com daily with breaking news, particularly cops and weather during night shifts
Sun-Times News Group, Chicago
Contributor, The Daily Southtown/Southtown Star during winter 2006/2007 and 2008/2009, summer 2006 and 2007
- Researched and wrote news and features pieces for 40,000-circulation publication
Illini Media Company, Champaign, Ill.
Managing editor writing and reporting, The Daily Illini from January 2008 – April 2009
- Created multimedia training program with other student editors and trained staff in Web reporting
- Coordinated major projects for news, features, opinions and sports desks, including planning for the November 2008 elections, numerous local elections and the Illinois Rose Bowl berth in 2007
- Managed an editing and reporting staff of more than 90 student journalists
- Contributed to planning and launch of new Web site on a Drupal CMS
- Summer assignment editor, The Daily Illini from May 2008 – August 2008
- Daytime web editor, The Daily Illini from January 2007 – March 2007
- Metro news editor, The Daily Illini from March 2007 – December 2007
- Staff writer, The Daily Illini from November 2005 – March 2007
New Media: Have shot and edited video using mobile applications; active in social networks including Twitter and Facebook and have written extensively for web and posted content through several management systems.
Technical: Knowledge of database research techniques and Excel, presenting information using DocumentCloud, Google Fusion and Tableau Public. Proficient in PC and OSX software and Microsoft Office suite
Communication: Able to effectively interview sources and maintain contacts, share information with fellow reporters and other newsroom staff and collaborate with others on a daily basis and for major projects
Teamwork & leadership: Experienced in cooperating with fellow journalists in all mediums and coordinating projects involving multiple reporters
University of Illinois at Springfield, Public Affairs Reporting program, master’s May 2010. Cumulative GPA 4.0/4.0.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Media, Bachelor of Science 2009 as a news-editorial journalism major, political science minor. Major GPA of 3.62/4.0; cumulative GPA of 3.4/4.0.